Andrew Puzder, Nominee for the Secretary of Labor
UPDATE: ANDREW PUZDER WAS FORCED TO WITHDRAW HIS NOMINATION AS SECRETARY OF LABOR. THIS WAS DUE TO PRESSURE FROM WORKING PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY WHO DECIDED TO TAKE A STAND. HE IS NO LONGER A THREAT TO WORKING FAMILIES AS A PART OF THE ADMINISTRATION BUT HE CONTINUES TO BE A THREAT TO THE EMPLOYEES OF HIS COMPANY.
Workers’ Most Wanted for the month of February 2017 is Andrew Puzder, the Nominee for the Secretary of Labor.
Andrew Puzder is obsessed with business — the business of attacking the rights of the working class! Puzder’s nomination could undo nearly a decade of victories won by progressives and workers’ movements within the first week of a Trump administration. Time and time again, he has supported policies and practices that hurt the most vulnerable in America:
- Puzder is the CEO of CKE Restaurants, the company that owns Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. As a fast food CEO, he’s about as cartoonishly criminal as one can get.
- He opposes an increase to the minimum wage despite making more in a day than his lowest-paid employees do all year.
- His compensation package totaled $4 million in 2012 and over $10 million in 2011.
- Over the past 15 years, several Hardees’ franchises have been fined by the Labor Department to pay back wages to employees.
- Puzder has also criticized the recent Labor Department rule that expands eligibility for extend guaranteed overtime pay to qualified salaried workers making less than $47,476 a year, and opposes paid sick leave.
- Puzder wrote in an op-ed in The Hill of a so-called “Welfare Cliff,” where employees turn down promotions that could lead to $80,000 salaries because they “don’t want to lose the free stuff from the government.”
One of the major strategies in organizing is to never underestimate your opponent! Andrew Pudzer is a threat to the livelihood of the entirety of the 99%. Pudzer seeks to replace minimum wage workers with machines on the grounds that machines are “always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case.”
We must stay reminded brothers and sisters that we have nothing to lose, but our chains and everything to gain and recreate! We need to hold Andrew Puzder accountable. Please share his wanted poster on social media and for all to see! Far and wide, let it be known who has built a career on attacking our livelihoods. You can tweet Andrew Puzder and tell him to stop the attacks against working-class people at @AndyPuzder.